Nasevich Funeral Home was established in the Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia by Michael F. Nasevich in 1919. Mr. Nasevich had obtained his director's license in 1917 while residing in Scranton, PA. He married Mary Panasoska in 1922 and together they operated the Funeral Home until his death in 1946.
Mary continued to run the Funeral Home and was joined by her son, Michael E. Nasevich, in 1949. Mike, a graduate of Central High School, graduated from Eckels Mortuary College in Philadelphia after serving in the U.S. Navy during WW II.
Married in 1951 to Anne Duranowsky, Mike continued to help his mother run the funeral home and was joined in the business by his wife who also attended Eckels Mortuary College. Anne received her license in 1954. In 1959, they established a new location at 109 E. Tabor Rd., in the Olney section of Philadelphia.
In 1963, Mary Nasevich remarried; her husband, Antin "Tony" Metka was a resident of Coral Gables, Florida and they made Pennsylvania and Florida their homes.
In 1977, the Nasevich's welcomed their oldest son, Michael F. Nasevich, to the business. Mike, a graduate of Cardinal Doughterty High School ('70) and LaSalle College (1975), attended American Academy-McAllister Institute in New York City.
In 1989, Charles R. Taggart, the husband of Marie Nasevich, the youngest daughter of Anne & Mike, joined the firm as a licensed funeral director. Charlie is a graduate of Archbishop Carroll High School ('72) and attended St. Joseph's University; he graduated from Mercer College with a degree in Mortuary Science.
In the late 1990's, both Anne and Mike chose to retire from the business, leaving it in the hands of their son Michael, who along with his brother-in-law, continued the day-to-day operations.
In 2006, the Nasevich family acquired a storied family business in the Bustleton section of Philadelphia. Opened in 1910 by Vincent R. Fletcher, the Fletcher Funeral Home was the first funeral home in the growing Bustleton and Somerton sections of Philadelphia. Mr. Fletcher was joined in the business by his son, Vincent H. Fletcher. His grandsons, Vincent H. Fletcher, Jr. and Wayne Fletcher, and a great-granddaughter, Holly Fletcher, joined the family business through the years.
Looking to retire, Vince Jr. and Wayne sold the business to Mike Nasevich in July of 2006 and the business today is the Fletcher-Nasevich Funeral Home.
With the acquisition of Fletcher Funeral Home, Mike and Charlie were fortunate to retain the services of Glenn K. Bernhardt, a long-time employee, and right-hand man, of the Fletcher's.
Glenn is a graduate of Freedom High School in Bethlehem, PA and received his Mortuary Science degree from Northampton Co. Community College. Glenn served his apprenticeship with the Fletcher's and was retained by them after receiving his Funeral Director's license.
Also with the firm is Theodore John Sidorsky; TJ is a graduate of Frankford High School ('76)and Villanova University ('80). He joined the Nasevich's in 2001 and graduated from Mercer Co. Community College in 2006; he received his funeral director's license in 2008.
Joining the business in late 2006 was Danielle Meyers. Dani grew up in the funeral industry and acts as the business's office manager.
With the firm today is Katryna Midzak; Kat joined the firm in 2014 as a funeral service trainee while attending Mercer Co. Community College. She is currently employed as a funeral intern, working towards her licensing.
The original location of Nasevich Funeral Home in Northern Liberties is no longer active and the family chose to close their Olney office with the acquisition of Fletcher Funeral Home.
Our funeral home remains family-owned and operated and we remain committed to providing distinguished and personalized service to all families during their most stressful time.